Monday, December 15, 2014

Introduction to Thirty Dollars in Thirty Days Charity Challenge

I have a lot of friends on social media who participate in challenges like "30 days of thankfulness", where every day they post one, or three, things they are thankful for.  I think that's really cool, a nice way to bring mindfulness to one's life.  But one day after seeing my Facebook feed fill up with these kinds of posts, I thought, what if, instead of focusing on their own lives, my friends were taking a few minutes a day to publicly do something for someone else?  Well, I thought, if I wanted someone else to do it, I certainly should try it!  Which is when I decided that for the month of January, I'm going to make a donation to a different non-profit every day.  Before you're like, "WHOA, expensive! Unreplicable!" I decided to donate $1 each day.  Here are the main reasons why:

1.  Many charities will not accept online donations of less than $10.  While I understand why they might do this, I wanted to highlight organizations that will take any amount of money submitted online, so that someone who has $1 or $5 can do some good without having to search around.

2.  Many non-profits get very few donations in January as people have 'charity fatigue' from the holidays.  I thought it would be nice to shine a little light on some great organizations in a slow month, and possibly inspire some donations.

It will be interesting to see if I can find 30 charities that both allow mini donations and I also philsophically support.  At the end of 30 days, I plan to make a one-time $30 donation to my favorite charity that I've found.

My sister Emily is going to join me in this challenge.  I plan to post my daily donations here and on social media, and use the hashtag #30daysofcharity.  I hope that you'll follow along, and I hope to inspire a little giving in the new year (pun intended!).  If you want to actively participate, even if it's just one day's worth of mini-donations, shoot me a message and I'll post your chosen charity here!

Best wishes and happy holidays!

Allison
#30daysofcharity

No comments:

Post a Comment