Saturday, January 10, 2015

Day 10: Donors Choose

About the organization

Donors Choose is an innovative website that allows teachers to upload classroom needs so that people can make donations of any size towards purchasing the items.  I chose this project after a quick search because I know from my own experience that these early reading tools are super helpful to little kids.


Why does it appeal to me?

I like that supporters can see exactly who and what they are donating to.  I also greatly appreciate that you can opt out of a portion of your donation going to support the website (though I didn't this time), that they don't assume you want your money divided up.  I like that I can search for things that interest me and make an impact directly in the lives of kids.  (This is one of those organizations whose existence sort of baffles me - why do we fund education in a way that teachers have to ask strangers to meet their needs?  But I know so many teachers who use their own money and resources to make ends meet in the classroom, so I know how necessary it is.)


Want to learn more?

Learn more or find a classroom project to support here.

You can also make a wedding registry page or "donate your birthday" on the site!



A very short story about microdonations

I tried to donate $1 to an organization whose core message is that just $1 buys 10 meals for kids.  The minimum donation (which was not posted, I had to submit the form to find out) was $10.  They might want to rethink that!



Follow along with my challenge here on the blog or on Twitter with the hash tag #30daysofcharity.

Want me to see if your favorite organization accepts microdonations, or want me to feature it?  Post a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment