Sunday, January 11, 2015

Day 11: Friends of Myakka River Wildlife Refuge

About the organization

Friends of Myakka River promote environmental responsibility and upkeep of the Myakka River system.  The river, located in west central Florida, is a haven to many animals including alligators and migratory birds.  It's a fascinating area, designated 'wild and scenic' by the state legislature.



Why does it appeal to me?

When I was a kid we used to travel to Sanibel Island which has a fabulous wildlife refuge.  It felt tropical, wild and unlike anything I'd ever seen (growing up in Vermont!)  The brightly colored birds, the alligators, even the little crabs and snails were all so much fun.  I thought it was one of a kind.  Imagine my surprise when I visited Myakka wildlife refuge, about 50 miles away, with even more alligators, a huge lake and awesome hiking trails.  When we moved to Washington we visited Nisqually Federal Wildlife Refuge, where we saw bald eagles, hawks, snakes and frogs.  I've always been a fan of the outdoors and wildlife but only recently have I come to treasure the great variety of wildlife refuges and their outdoor recreation opportunities.



Want to learn more?

To learn more, click here.

To make a donation, click here.

Want to see if there is a national wildlife refuge near you?  Check out the map on this page.



Follow along with my challenge here on the blog or on Twitter with the hash tag #30daysofcharity.

Want me to see if your favorite organization accepts microdonations, or want me to feature it?  Post a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment