Monday, January 26, 2015

Day 26: Mother's Milk Bank

About the organization

Mother's Milk accepts donated breast milk from screened donors, pasteurizes and tests it, and passes it on to hospitals for needy babies, often preemies.   Access to breast milk makes a significant difference in the health of sick and early infants.  Mother's Milk is based in California, but there are milk banks all across the U.S.  To find a milk bank near you, check out the Human Milk Banking Association of North America.



Why does it appeal to me?

When you're pregnant, your mind races through many possibilities of what can go wrong during pregnancy and birth.  For me, a big one was the possibility of an early delivery, because my contractions started around 30 weeks with both pregnancies.  One thing that made me feel better about this possibility was the existence of milk banks, that even if I couldn't nurse, that my baby would still be able to have some breast milk.  There are also some awesome milk exchanges where you can link up with someone local, who can give you fresh or unpasteurized milk which may have even more health benefits for your baby.



Want to learn more?

To learn more, click here.

To donate, click here.



Follow along with my challenge here on the blog or on Twitter with the hash tag #30daysofcharity.

Want me to see if your favorite organization accepts microdonations, or want me to feature it?  Post a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment