Monday, January 12, 2015

Day 12: Kaboom! playgrounds

About the organization

Kaboom! is a fast growing non profit that builds playgrounds in "play deserts."  They believe that play is an essential part of childhood, and I agree!  But the CDC reports that only 1 in 5 children live within a 1/2 mile of a playground.  I had no idea!



Why does it appeal to me?

I never understood how important playgrounds are, especially in cities, until I had kids.  I sort of assumed there were just enough to go around.  But so many playgrounds (both in DC and Tacoma, the only two cities I've lived in with kids) are in poor condition with dangerous, falling apart structures.  Many neighborhoods don't even have playgrounds, though, and that's where Kaboom! works.  Their website also has a pretty cool selection of outdoor toys available for purchase.


Want to learn more?

Learn more about Kaboom! here.

Donate here.

Want a playground built in your community?  Check out their grants and activities here.



Follow along with my challenge here on the blog or on Twitter with the hash tag #30daysofcharity.

Want me to see if your favorite organization accepts microdonations, or want me to feature it?  Post a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment