Sunday, January 4, 2015

Day 4: National Public Radio and local public radio

About the organization

National Public Radio (NPR) is a great resources for news, in-depth stories, and humor.  I'm always impressed especially on their in-depth pieces about issues around the world, especially the recent political upheavals in the Middle East, which, I'll admit, is not a topic I'm super familiar with.  I don't know if I've ever turned on NPR and not learned something new.


Why does it appeal to me?

I love that it's news and opinions without being "talk radio", by which I mean, I don't feel assaulted by the newscaster's opinions or biases.  I like that they cover a wide range of news issues and don't shy away from covering controversial or complicated issues.  I'm a big fan of Morning Edition and my sister loves Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me.  I also have a cousin who works there and it seems like a supportive, exciting workplace (not to mention they built their headquarters in a previously industrial, developing corridor in DC, bringing new life to the area.)


Want to learn more?

I was surprised to find that when I clicked the donate button on NPR's website, it directed me to a donation page for my local public radio.  While I had intended to donate to NPR, it was cool that they were directing the money to local radio (who, I think, have to pay to get the NPR programming on air.)  My local radio station is KPLU Seattle but you can find yours here.

Want to make a donation?  Click here.


A note about microdonations

One of the reasons I started this challenge was to highlight organizations that take donations of any size, to show that anyone can donate, even if it's just $1, one time.  I have found at least 50% of the organizations I research do not take donations this small.  What's frustrating is you often have to input all of your information, including your credit card, before the website tells you that there is a minimum donation amount (and often doesn't even tell you what that is, it just says "invalid amount.")  I have found that organizations that accept Paypal for donations are far more likely to accept microdonations than organizations that only take credit cards.  Also, Network for Good, which allows you to donate to multiple organizations (as well as Charity Navigator which routes you to Network for Good) do not allow donations of less than $10.  


Follow along with my challenge here on the blog or on Twitter with the hash tag #30daysofcharity.

Want me to see if your favorite organization accepts microdonations, or want me to feature it?  Post a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment