Friday, January 16, 2015

Day 16: American Society for Deaf Children

About the organization

American Society for Deaf Children has a "mission of providing support and advocacy to families of deaf and hard of hearing children."  They provide much needed direction and resources especially to the families of newly diagnosed children.  I can imagine that this website would be incredibly helpful if we were one of these families.


Why does it appeal to me?

When we lived in DC we lived near Gallaudet University, a college for deaf students.  There is a robust, growing deaf community in DC, especially in the area around Union Market, one of my favorite newer attractions in DC.  It was great to be able to say "thank you" in sign language to the employees of our favorite deli, and have my daughter seeing lots of people using sign language all around the city.  She wasn't interested in signing as a baby but once she started speaking she got very excited about signing, and we now know about 75 signs.  Also, on a pop culture note, I really enjoy the show Switched at Birth largely because it features deaf and hard of hearing characters, which is unusual in TV and movies.  It's fascinating to watch the scenes between two deaf people, where the music and extraneous noise is removed.  It's a great (soapy) show and I love the attention they give to deaf culture.  I wanted to donate to a deaf advocacy charity, but didn't know of any.  I asked a local advocate what group she recommended, and she suggested ASDC.



Want to learn more?

Click here to learn more.

Want to donate?  Click here.



Follow along with my challenge here on the blog or on Twitter with the hash tag #30daysofcharity.  New to the blog?  Click here to learn more about my January charity challenge.

Want me to see if your favorite organization accepts microdonations, or want me to feature it?  Post a comment below.



No comments:

Post a Comment