Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Day 27: Center for Native American Youth at the Aspen Institute

About the organization

CNAY at the Aspen Institue works to improve quality of life and opportunities for Native American youth.  28% of Native Americans live in poverty, only 51% of Native youths graduate from high school, and Native Americans even have higher rates of pedestrian fatalities.  There is also an alarming trend of suicide among Native youths.  Native Americans youth are some of the most at-risk in our country, with few opportunities for education and advancement.  Yet media attention is scant and financial donations to Native American charities is disproportionately low.  CNAY recently partnered with the White House in a new program to improve access to education, training and jobs for these youth.



Why does it appeal to me?

I saw a headline on Twitter about Obama crying in the Oval Office about native youth.  It grabbed me, and the article was fascinating.  After a visit to Standing Rock, Obama was sad about the lack of opportunities for native youth and brought together all of his education and youth staff to make changes.  I loved his directive, "you will find new avenues of opportunity for our Native youth.  You will make sure this happens on my watch."  While I'm happy that Obama is taking this initiative, it makes me sad that this new energy from the White House to tackle Native youth issues received so little media attention.  I truly hope that this energy and focus will bring needed opportunities to indigenous Americans.



Want to learn more?

To learn more, click here.

To donate, click here.



Follow along with my challenge here on the blog or on Twitter with the hash tag #30daysofcharity.

Want me to see if your favorite organization accepts microdonations, or want me to feature it?  Post a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment