Sunday, January 25, 2015

Day 25: Girls on the Run

About the organization

Girls on the Run is a national non-profit that strives to help girls in grades 3-8 to be confident and healthy using "fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running."  At the end of the 12 weeks curriculum, each participant is ready to run a 5K.  Over 64,000 girls participated in the celebratory 5K in 2014, and over 800,000 girls have participated in the GOTR curriculum since it began in 1996.



Why does it appeal to me?

I'd heard of GOTR before but it wasn't really on my radar until no less than three of my family members suggested I feature it on this blog.  I love the idea of improving self confidence through sports.  As a kid I played basketball, softball, tennis, soccer, ran track and swam competitively.  I loved all of it, loved how strong I was and how fun it was.  I'm excited that this organization exists to open young girls' eyes to the benefits of running - health, making friends, learning what your body is capable of.  Also they have a fun online shop of GOTR apparel and running supplies.



Want to learn more?

To learn more, click here.

To donate, click here.

Like to run and want to volunteer?  Opportunities range from a few hours as a 'running buddy' for a 5K race to coaching through the 12 week curriculum.  Or you can raise money for Girls on the Run next time participate in a run a long-distance event.



Follow along with my challenge here on the blog or on Twitter with the hash tag #30daysofcharity.

Want me to see if your favorite organization accepts microdonations, or want me to feature it?  Post a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment