Thursday, January 22, 2015

Day 22: International Medical Corps

About the organization

International Medical Corps provides life saving medical care around the world, especially in disaster areas, unstable political situations and war-affected areas.  They also work extensively in maternal and child health, making childbirth and childhood easier and healthier.  They also work to improve health care capacity, mental health outcomes and access to clean water.  International Medical Corps has programs in Africa, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and the Caribbean.



Why does it appeal to me?

I have always been intrigued by international health organizations that line up doctors with specific areas of expertise with parts of the world in need of that assistance.  International Medical Corps is new to me, but they have an amazing breadth of mission.  I respect that they don't just go in during a disaster and then leave, they seem to create lasting programs that really improve long term outcomes.  I also appreciate their work in refugee communities, like their work with Syrian refugees in camps in Turkey.



Want to learn more?

To learn more, click here.

To donate, click here.



Follow along with my challenge here on the blog or on Twitter with the hash tag #30daysofcharity.

Want me to see if your favorite organization accepts microdonations, or want me to feature it?  Post a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment