Friday, January 9, 2015

Day 9: The Fresh Air Fund

About the organization

The Fresh Air Fund's mission is for kids in low-income New York City neighborhoods to spend one or two weeks outside the city each summer, in the suburbs, small town or countryside.  They arrange host families for over 4,000 kids annually.  And I just learned they've been doing this since 1887!  That's amazing.


Why does it appeal to me?

I love the mission of the Fresh Air Fund, to expose kids to a new environment and potentially create lasting relationships between the host family and the child.  (65% of kids are invited back for a second summer at the same home).  When I was a teenager, my family hosted a girl from New York through Fresh Air Fund.  I remember being shocked that she had, at 10 years old, never been swimming before.  It was a great way to expose us, not just her, to different lifestyles (urban vs suburban) as well as the different opportunities you might get if you were born into a different city or situation.


Want to learn more?

Visit the Fresh Air Fund.

Click here to donate.

Do you live on the east coast and are interested in hosting?  Click here.



Follow along with my challenge here on the blog or on Twitter with the hash tag #30daysofcharity.  New to the blog?  Click here to learn more about my January charity challenge.

Want me to see if your favorite organization accepts microdonations, or want me to feature it?  Post a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment