Friday, January 2, 2015

Day 2: Orca Network

About the organization

Orca Network exists to raise awareness about wild and captive orcas.  The 501c3 group publicizes salient issues like dangers to the orcas' food supply.  They use simple language, so you don't have to be a biologist to follow along.  I've learned so much just by following them on Facebook!  If you like whales, watched Blackfish, or are interested in the health of the oceans and the Puget Sound, this is a great organization to follow.


Why does it appeal to me?

I'm especially fond of Orca Network's Facebook posts, which often have user-submitted photos of recent Orca sightings.  They also also posts events around the country to raise awareness and funds of Orca issues.  They even have a store if you're looking for a present for a whale-loving friend or family member.  I have to admit, since we moved to Washington, I've been a little obsessed with trying to see orcas, but I kind of refuse to do a whale watch since I get super ill on boats.  I'm hoping that I just get super lucky on my infrequent binocular-toting visits to the beach.  (I usually see seals and sometimes bald eagles on these jaunts so they're pretty cool either way!)


Want to learn more?

Click here to learn more about the work Orca Network does.

Want to make a donation?  There's a Paypal link at the top right of the home page, and yes, they accept donations as little as $1!

If you live in the Pacific NW, check out the land-based Orca sighting map or follow Orca Network on Facebook (where they post sightings).  I haven't seen one yet but I'm hoping to!


Follow along with my challenge here on the blog or on Twitter with the hash tag #30daysofcharity.

Want me to see if your favorite organization accepts microdonations, or want me to feature it?  Post a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment