Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Day 7: Girls Who Code

About the organization

Girls Who Code is a great organization that works to expose more young girls to computer sciences in order to improve gender equality in that field and improve economic opportunities for these kids. Their website states that "In middle school, 74% of girls express interest in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM), but when choosing a college major, just 0.3% of high school girls select computer science." Girls Who Code runs summer intensives and provides support for middle school and high school coding clubs. The summer program and clubs end with the kids creating a program or application that helps their community, which is awesome.


Why does it appeal to me?


I think encouraging more kids, and women in particular, to consider computer sciences is a really cool mission. When I was a kid, computers were becoming more common. When I was in elementary school we played that little game where the turtle moves around at right angles. I think we got our first home computer when I was about 10, and I loved it - I played the Amazon Trail and Oregon Trail all the time. I was very interested in computers but can't recall a time someone told me it was a possible career path. (Could I be wrong, and someone did? Probably! But I remember computers being toys, or tools, never something I could learn how to make or impact.) So I guess I am interested in Girls Who Code because they're telling these girls not just that it is a possible career, but that it's they can excel in this technical field.


Want to learn more?

Click here to learn more about Girls Who Code. Check them out on Facebook and Twitter.

Want to donate? Click here and click the link on the right side.

Work in the field and want to teach a club or get involved another way?  Click here.


Follow along with my challenge here on the blog or on Twitter with the hash tag #30daysofcharity.

Want me to see if your favorite organization accepts microdonations, or want me to feature it? Post a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment