Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Day 6: Shiba Inu Rescue

About the organization?

DC Shiba Inu Rescue finds shiba inus (a type of Japanese dog) in shelters around the country and finds healthy homes for them.  Many people purchase shiba inus from breeders or pet shops and are unaware of the care and upkeep for a primitive, active breed.  Many of DCSIR's dogs are from shelters and some are surrendered directly to DCSIR for rehoming.


Why does it appeal to me?

I realize this is a really specific, local organization, but I wanted to highlight it because I have been so impressed with the thoroughness that they vet (no pun intended!) potential adoptive homes for these dogs.  Shiba inus can be a handful, but they can also be wonderful pets.  They need someone who is consistent with discipline but gentle and loving.  (That's Rocco, one of our dogs, below.)



DCSIR is totally volunteer-based, and have a committed group that work tirelessly to find the perfect home situation for each dog.  It's a great model for other pet rescue organizations.  I used to do home visits for a border collie rescue, and one time I couldn't recommend the home for adoption, and I felt really bad.  But I was really happy that the organization listened to my concerns and asked the applicant to reapply when they had a safer, more stable environment.  I'm not a fan of purchasing dogs, generally, due to issues with safety and health at breeding facilities (as well as the large number of dogs that already need homes), so I like to support all kinds of animal rescue groups.  (As does my 3 year old.)


Want to learn more?

Click here to learn more about DC Shiba Inu Rescue.

Want to make a donation?

You can help support DC Shiba Inu Rescue at no cost to you by using Amazon Smile.  All you do is you start at Amazon Smile, pick your charity and proceed to buy your stuff on Amazon.  0.5% of your order gets sent to the non-profit you chose!  


Follow along with my challenge here on the blog or on Twitter with the hash tag #30daysofcharity.

Want me to see if your favorite organization accepts microdonations, or want me to feature it?  Post a comment below.


No comments:

Post a Comment